11.29.2015

not another hairstyle





photographed with a fujifilm x30

Anyone who knows me knows that I don't mess with my hair. I've had the same haircut, in varying lengths, since the fourth grade, and the only reason I got it then was because someone accidentally chopped it off. (Long story.) One time when I was 13, I put blonde streaks in, and then this summer in a (rather disastrous, if we're being honest) burst of rebellion I dyed the bottom purple. The result was reminiscent of Kylie Jenner when she was in her "blonde-undercut" phase. Basically, I avoid doing anything drastic out of the sheer fear that I'll never get my hair back to its glory. Then, last week in London, I was wearing a leather jacket, feeling vaguely invincible, and standing in front of Not Another Salon - the Brick Lane home of world renowned colorist Sophia Hilton and her incredibly talented team. (Seriously, check them out. You'll want them to be your best friends and wish you had 500% more hair) It was the right moment.

When I am nervous about basically anything, I talk a LOT. In an attempt to cut down on the babbling, I told to Sophia to do whatever she thought would look good, and shut up. My hair was literally in her hands. From the minute the bleach hit my curls, my thoughts ran along the lines of "oh my god what if I don't like it what if it doesn't look good what if my hair snaps off what am I doing oH MY GOD". But Sophia knows what she's doing, and she has play-doh in her waiting room, (Shoutout to Ben  for coming in and making sure I played with it) so I decided to trust the process. I'm so glad I did, because my hair is now all the colors of the wind. (Okay, two, but it's an extreme for me. Chill.) 

Not Another Salon is a baby, as far as salons go, but it already has its vibe down. Listening to Sophia talk about her journey from vision to neon-lighted store front, you can tell this wasn't just an idle "oh hey, you know what'd be fun?". "I wanted a place that was fun, not cool. Not somewhere where you felt like you needed to be a certain kind of person to come in." she told me, as she streaked bright colors into my hair. I'm sorry to say that she's failed - Not Another Salon is cool. It's a really rad place, from the 1960's living room-esque waiting room, to the pots of color lined up on the counter tops, to the people that work there. Everything about it is exactly the kind of place you want to go to do something fun and different. Especially if you never ever do anything different and you think you'll need a strong cup of tea for the whole thing. Annie's GOT you. But she's also definitely spot on - I didn't feel out of place at all. There was no sort of elitism, no "look" I needed to fit. I came as I was, and left slightly more colorful.


BASICALLY, long story short, I'm now going to have to fly back across the planet to get this touched up because I really don't think anyones going to match Not Another Salon's level.

 THEY HAD PLAY DOH.

x J

ps. Not Another Salon is at 188 Brick Lane, and they seriously do it all. Make an appointment, send me a thank you card later. 


follow A Bent Piece Of Wire on twitter|Facebook|bloglovin

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a cool place! You look great! :)

    Maria
    http://immariav.blogspot.com.co/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I normally don't step out in wild colors either. Those colors do look good on you. I usually dye my hair blond, but a few months I did a bright red color. No one liked it, but me. I think I will stick with blond for now. Have a nice day!

    Renee May @ Virgin Hair Fixx

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what I want to hear. Or what you want to say.

Just remember:

If you're mean, I'll track you down and replace all your shoes with those hideous white tennis things that are so popular among the very sad.