9.18.2015

what a big house you have







photographed with a fujifilm x30

Next week I'm finally getting a tripod. Finally, you will be given a break from my insistent postings of what are basically glorified vacation photos, and get to look at what few outfits I managed to fit in my suitcase! But until then...

I HAVE BEEN HERE FOR 21 DAYS. Isn't that crazy? 21 days already, and I didn't have french fries until last Friday at the zoo. It was worth the wait though because those are the best french fries I have ever had. (PRO TIP: Don't ask for ketchup in Europe as it will mark you as a tourist off the bat. If they offer, you can take it, if not, take the mayonnaise. Before you say "ew"... trust me.) There were also some sassy flamingos and Nemo (because all clownfish ever are Nemo, obviously).

On Saturday,  for the first time since I got here (My new walking average, according to my iPhone, is 16k steps a day.), we got in a car and drove to Wiesbaden to "have a day out and see a castle". 

Let me get this straight with you right now: they use the term "castle" very loosely around Europe. Houses that wouldn't even turn heads in Beverly Hills are suddenly "Schloss So-And-So".  So I have decided to create a very clear distinction with my grandmother:

1. Schloss: INCREDIBLY MISLEADING GERMAN CATCH-ALL

2. Castle: IF THEY WOULDN'T PUT IT IN A DISNEY MOVIE OR BBC SPECIAL IT'S NOT A CASTLE

3. Palace: MASSIVE HOUSE THAT HAD ROYALS IN IT

4. House/Abbey/Estate/Etc: THINGS THAT ARE ONLY RELEVANT IN THE UK

I just needed to express that, because while what we saw was a really cool PALACE (Schloss Biebrich, if you wanna have a look), it was not a CASTLE. Despite this, it had four weddings happening at the same time, and so was slightly more cheerful than the absolutely beautiful Russian Orthodox church we visited. I couldn't take photos inside, but it was stunning. So is my handmade little matroshka keychain, whom I have named Anya. She now dangles next to Herr Ygritte (if you don't know, you know nothing), my tiny tiger from the zoo.  This is what I've been doing in Europe. Naming keychains.

Wiesbaden was a good day trip though because outside of the city, it checks off all the "quaint european town" boxes, with medival age houses, narrow little streets,
overflowing flower boxes, and - most importantly -

2.5 bakeries per person.


x J






follow A Bent Piece Of Wire on twitter|facebook|bloglovin

3 comments:

  1. Lovely post, have a beautiful weekend! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love love this - amazing!

    http://rosalindis.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like SUCH fun!

    http://www.onasaturday.com

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what I want to hear. Or what you want to say.

Just remember:

If you're mean, I'll track you down and replace all your shoes with those hideous white tennis things that are so popular among the very sad.